3.27.2008

Random Thoughts Day

1) A huge chunk of ice broke off of the Antarctica shelf yesterday. Scientifically, how big, exactly, is "huge"? 415 square kilometers. You can't get any more scientific than that: it's in kilometers. In layman's terms, for all of us laymen, that's 7 times the size of Manhattan.

2) A Texas man got a sentence of 25 years today for MICROWAVING A BABY. And no, the baby didn't die. (I know what some of you are thinking, and shame on you.)

3) On the lighter side, I received a check in the mail today for $3,985. It appears to be a real check, although I have no idea who these people are who sent it to me. Apparently, if I cash it, I will have agreed to be a secret shopper. While I know for a fact there really are secret shoppers, in this case part of this money is supposed to be used for a money gram. A $3,000 money gram. The whole thing is really fishy, and the check is going into the shredder. If I had a shredder.

4) When I got out of the train at Astor Place tonight, the kid in the Mud truck was playing John Lennon's "Mind Games." I decided I had to talk to him.

"Is that your CD?" I said.

"No," he says, "That's John Lennon."

I did not laugh out loud. "Yeah, I know, I meant, is that your music choice or was it forced on you?"

""Oh. Yeah. It's on my iPod."

"That's a great album," I said, as if he needed or even wanted my approval.

I walked away from the truck as "One Day at a Time" started. Sometimes your favorite music sounds even better when someone else has chosen to play it.

12 comments:

Unknown Thu Mar 27, 10:01:00 PM EDT  

MICROWAVED A BABY?! i cant even think about it...

7 times Manhattan?! I cant even imagine

This is what the world has become... sad

One Cheer Thu Mar 27, 11:16:00 PM EDT  

Exactly. What can you say, except "!!!!!?!!!!"?
And the kicker: the man with the microwave was the baby's FATHER.

bgfa Fri Mar 28, 02:36:00 AM EDT  

I say open another account, cash the check, and then close the account. Or cash it at a check cashing place.

One Cheer Fri Mar 28, 09:33:00 AM EDT  

I always knew you had larceny in your heart!

Anonymous,  Sun Mar 30, 01:16:00 PM EDT  

Mike in Zurich says:

Total ice shelf size of Antarctica is 1,541,700 square kilometers. A piece of 415 square kilometers falling of represents 0.0269% of that area. Apparently this happens with some regularity: Here is a graphic representation:

http://tinyurl.com/2nv9n6

One Cheer Sun Mar 30, 03:16:00 PM EDT  

Somehow, the fact that this is happening with some regularity is not a comforting thought.

Anonymous,  Sun Mar 30, 03:42:00 PM EDT  

With some regularity means breaking off / refreezing / breaking off / refreezing. Sorry about that.

Anonymous,  Wed Apr 02, 01:59:00 PM EDT  

Lisa from Arvada says:

Scam. Scam scam scam. You send the cash, the check bounces and you're out three grand. There's a related scam in which you post something for sale for, say, $25 on Craigslist or eBay and somebody sends a check for, say, $225 or $2025 and asks you to return the balance.

My children are both too big to fit in the microwave.

One Cheer Wed Apr 02, 02:34:00 PM EDT  

I thought I might frame it, or send it to the postmaster general or something. Not sure yet.

As far as your children not fitting in the microwave: well, it's the thought that counts.

Buzz Stephens Thu Apr 03, 10:23:00 AM EDT  

Oh pish posh, I beleive if there is a will, there is a way.
So I don't want to hear any more of this "poor me, my kids are too big to stuff in the microwave."

One Cheer Thu Apr 03, 04:40:00 PM EDT  

Ok, Buzz...now you're just trying to cause trouble, aren't you? :-)

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP